New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

evidence

Russia
226 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  7:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit evidence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
type?
curious to see people's interpretations.

oh, and i think she's an INFP 7w/6, so this post is entirely self motivated.
shameless, i know.

I can't without you.
7 w/6 infp

Edited by - evidence on 18 Jun 2008 7:25:01 PM

the_eye

Romania
5070 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  7:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit the_eye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
double-withdrawn, 4w5.

INFJ.

"mich interessiert kein Gleichgewicht/ mir scheint die Sonne ins Gesicht"

Edited by - the_eye on 18 Jun 2008 7:33:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

pork

6197 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  7:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit pork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, another Amelie typing thread.

And here is the first one.

^(oo)^

4w3, SP/SX, INFJ
Go to Top of Page

Scandia

USA
1653 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  8:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scandia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
INFP 4w5

ENTJ 3w4 SP/SO/SX SLOEI Inventive
Go to Top of Page

amande

165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  10:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit amande's Homepage  Reply with Quote
9w1, anyone?

sp/sx
1w9? 9w1?
INFP
Go to Top of Page

dfgray44

USA
11884 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  11:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit dfgray44's Homepage  Reply with Quote
4w5 is an atrocious typing for Amelie.
I summon eternal shame to darken your homes and crows to pluck the hearts from your kinsmen - their hollowed chests replenished with ashes.

********* / *

Edited by - dfgray44 on 19 Jun 2008 01:33:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Orpheus

Romania
4045 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  01:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Orpheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
agreed. 4/5 for Amelie is about as off as saying she's an 8.

The 4omantic, 5 wing.

From his tear ducts come the flies.

Go to Top of Page

evidence

Russia
226 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  01:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit evidence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hmmm. interesting. nothing really outside of the box though. i expected the 4w/5. i'd like to hear the rationale if anyone's up to it.
also, thanks pork, i searched, because i figured it had come up before, but didn't see that one, or any of the other amelie threads.

I can't without you.
7 w/6 infp
Go to Top of Page

chain

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  01:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit chain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand the 7, but (though I could see it going either way---7 with strong connection to 5 or 5 with strong connection to 7)I see her as a 5.

The Wayfarer

USA
4432 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  02:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Wayfarer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to go with 5w4 or 4w5 probably self pres first.

I didn't know her type was really hard to pinpoint.

Sturgeon48
"In here, the core does not rot, as it did before...but grows hot with each passing refrain."

Go to Top of Page

detach

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  03:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit detach's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i would say most of us could agree that she's in the withdrawn triad.

again, most of us would probably also agree she's an INFP.

just wanted to say something equanimous.

ISFJ 6w7 sp/sx

Edited by - detach on 19 Jun 2008 04:01:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

the_eye

Romania
5070 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  05:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit the_eye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Uhm, pork, df, thanks for the information. Marie was quite right about Amelie and about why she's a 5w4.

But if that's the case, she can't be sp/sx. There's no sp 5 (not even 5w4s and sp/sx's) who could ever be so continuously concerned with the romantic lives of others and who focuses on the value of others. She did have the 5-ish core bent towards observing and analysing clues, was isolated (from the rest of society) and not willing to involve with it so certainly a soc-last. If she's a 5w4 sx/sp that would explain why so many, including myself, type her a 4 and as an INFP. Although, is Amelie Poulain an sx/sp 5w4?? And if she's an sp/sx 5w4, how can this be?

A 4w3 is ludicrous.

Go to Top of Page

the_eye

Romania
5070 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  05:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit the_eye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sturgeon48

Sturgeon48
"In here, the core does not rot, as it did before...but grows hot with each passing refrain."

In the end, why couldn't a sp 4w5 work as much as her type is concerned?

Go to Top of Page

dfgray44

USA
11884 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  07:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit dfgray44's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by detach

i would say most of us could agree that she's in the withdrawn triad.

again, most of us would probably also agree she's an INFP.

I, too, find these truths to be self-evident.

********* / *

Go to Top of Page

dsc

7689 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  08:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit dsc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[blocked due to guideline #4 violation]
Go to Top of Page

pork

6197 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  08:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit pork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the_eye: 4w3 is ludicrous

I challenge you to refute the points made by me and Estranged Protractor in the old Amelie thread that I linked to above.

^(oo)^

4w3, SP/SX, INFJ
Go to Top of Page

The Wayfarer

USA
4432 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  1:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Wayfarer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_eye

quote:

Sturgeon48

In the end, why couldn't a sp 4w5 work as much as her type is concerned?

I've known a few 4 girls that remind me of and relate to Amelie.

I don't know if savorypie is a fan of the film but she comes to mind when I think of the character.

I have another 4 friend whose favorite film is Amelie because she relates so strongly to the character. I think she might be sp/sx or sx/sp.

I suppose I could see where someone might draw 9, but the character just didn't feel light enough.

I have a hard time seeing 7. Not only because INFP 7 seems a bit off to me, I'd have to consider a different base type if I had an INFP mbti, (although I do think it could be possible).

Sturgeon48

Go to Top of Page

anon

United Kingdom
8861 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  1:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit anon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
9w1 if we've ever seen one, surely?

5w6w7 so/my sx ate all my sp
If wine is made to be drunk, and I am drunk, therefore am I wine?
Go to Top of Page

The Wayfarer

USA
4432 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  1:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Wayfarer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's also important to remember that movie characters are often an amalgamation of types so she might be equally 4 and equally 9, with a bit of 7 thrown in for whimsy. Trying to pinpoint the exact type of some movie characters is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack. Characters are a culmination of a writers imagination and often don't follow conventional rules of personality construction (then again neither do people).

We could just as easily say she's a 9w4, with a strong connection to 7.

Sturgeon48

Go to Top of Page

the_eye

Romania
5070 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  4:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit the_eye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pork

the_eye: 4w3 is ludicrous

I challenge you to refute the points made by me and Estranged Protractor in the old Amelie thread that I linked to above.

^(oo)^

4w3, SP/SX, INFJ

OK, no problem. First, emotions are flowing freely on a 4w3's skin, where was Amelie showing without any veil, directly everything she felt within?

4w3s are lunatics as far as their image is concerned, Amelie wasn't any bit. Save for the fact you want to say she was that withdrawn because she had problems with projecting her own image, but in this case I saw no signs of hysteria or narcissism coming from her, at least not in the movie. She wasn't attention or success-seeking and to me she seemed to have no real connection to 7, not in the 4w3-ish manner.

And she's obviously a double-withdrawn.

Go to Top of Page

The Wayfarer

USA
4432 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  4:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Wayfarer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't really see the connection to 7 either I was merely being diplomatic.

Sturgeon48

Go to Top of Page

the_eye

Romania
5070 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit the_eye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't really see the connection to 7 either I was merely being diplomatic.

Sturgeon48

I love this about you Sturge, but I just can't do it.

Go to Top of Page

MH

12309 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  5:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit MH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
OK, no problem. First, emotions are flowing freely on a 4w3's skin, where was Amelie showing without any veil, directly everything she felt within?

4w3s are lunatics as far as their image is concerned, Amelie wasn't any bit. Save for the fact you want to say she was that withdrawn because she had problems with projecting her own image, but in this case I saw no signs of hysteria or narcissism coming from her, at least not in the movie. She wasn't attention or success-seeking and to me she seemed to have no real connection to 7, not in the 4w3-ish manner.

Well I disagree, My sister wasn't a hysterical, and she was a 4w3 sx. She was one of the most timid women I've ever met, and so soft you could break her if you looked at her wrong, but it was an internal break, She didn't scream and go all wild like 4w3 is always written about on here. She turned her hurt and anger onto herself.

"why do they hate me?"

As a teenager she would get drunk and that was a different story, but I think you'll find that in any type when they get wasted.

The actress is a definate 4w3. The character may be another type, and I don't have a problem with introverted 7w6, The guy seemed introverted 7 or 9. The authors anima and animus?

I related alot to her too Evidence, Gave a book almost just like it with news clipping hiding secret messages long before I'd seen it or heard of her and type

Edited by - MH on 19 Jun 2008 5:21:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

pork

6197 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  9:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit pork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the_eye: First, emotions are flowing freely on a 4w3's skin,

No, they're not.

the_eye: where was Amelie showing without any veil, directly everything she felt within?

Since the character is an entranced 4w3 SP/SX, the most likely answer, and the correct one in this case, is "nowhere."

As I suspected, you have an odd, mythical, apocryphal concept of 4w3.

the_eye: 4w3s are lunatics as far as their image is concerned, Amelie wasn't any bit.

Recall the fantasy newsreel in which she is flaunted as famous for her altruism and the way that she manipulates people's feelings in lieu of fact to achieve in her do-gooder quest, e.g., by fabricating a love letter for her neighbor, allegedly from the neighbor's runaway husband.

Each 4w3 has an individual way of brokering and being frustrated and inhibited by a contrived self-image. This character is pulled toward Two (which seems to be her main secondary type, more active than her relatively light wing) and has to overcome bashfulness on the way.

the_eye: Save for the fact you want to say she was that withdrawn because she had problems with projecting her own image,

She is withdrawn because she is withdrawn. Extraversion level correlates with Enneagram type on average but does not apply uniformly to all people of a given type. There is much flexibility of range of extraversion level for each type. Some 4w3s are more extraverted than Amelie. I'm probably about the same as she is.

the_eye: but in this case I saw no signs of hysteria or narcissism coming from her, at least not in the movie.

You may find traces of qualities reminiscent of those, expressed indirectly, e.g., in her conversations with her father, the aforementioned imaginary newsreel, and her tendency toward stress point Two.

Externalization of hysteria is more an illustrious anomaly than a rotely typical behavior for us (it's very rare for me), so you may know a 4w3 your whole life and never see them display it, and we are not usually narcissistic in any discernable way.

the_eye: She wasn't attention or success-seeking

She's about the same in that respect as I am, i.e., usually only indirectly or in fantasy.

the_eye: and to me she seemed to have no real connection to 7, not in the 4w3-ish manner.

Four does not connect to Seven. Some 4w3s, particularly SO/SX, can resemble Sevens in some ways, but the Amelie character is SO last.

Going back to the start of your post....

the_eye: OK, no problem.

If it's no problem, then do it. You did not address any of the points of argument that Estranged Protractor or I made.

You might start with Estranged Protractor's version, since it's more tangible, citing specific examples from the film.

the_eye: And she's obviously a double-withdrawn.

But she's obviously not. If you're referring to her extraversion level, see my paragraph regarding that issue above. Again, the Hornevian groups refer to general trends that may fit some examples of types better than others. Extraversion level in itself is almost never a good basis for an argument as to which type someone is.

And if you're referring not to extraversion level but to something else, e.g., the character's usage of the Gut Center, explain.

^(oo)^

4w3, SP/SX, INFJ

Edited by - pork on 19 Jun 2008 9:22:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

The Wayfarer

USA
4432 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  10:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Wayfarer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by savorypie

quote:
I don't know if savorypie is a fan of the film but she comes to mind when I think of the character.

I am a fan, Amelie was my "Grand Personal 'Me' Film" starting high school and continuing after that. My friends started calling me Amelie frequently as a nickname after we watched the movie together.

And it is funny as I consider myself a 4w9w4 with many many 5 (and some 7) tendencies in regard to how they withdraw and observation etc. Sp/sx. Infp.

I relate to many things about Amelie, almost everything, but especially to how much she doesn't talk. Her mouth is nearly always closed, lips together, as is/are mine. I have that same sneaky/mischievous glance and have had it since childhood. A quiet sweet intensity.

A favorite past time of mine is skipping stones, I get nervous in the same ways, I really identify with her in that I observe everyone out of my window, thus I come to know quite a few things about my neighbors, though they know nothing about me. I really relate to the 'observing others', being quiet in the background, watchful. I am a loner. If I had been an only child, I think I would identify with her even more.

Audrey Tautou is a 4w3, as is I think Jean-Pierre Jeunet...(he's a 4 anyway...), so the film does have a certain 4w3 flavor. I identify also with the colors, as I tend and have tended to decorate my rooms with reds greens yellows and black.

I could see Amelie being a 5w4 and having a 7 connection, and have thought of her in that way for a while now. She's fond of stratagems. Plans. Prefers to remain anonymous. Has those mind worry fantasies (what might have happened to Nino, kidnapping, etc). I would think a 5w4 infp would look different from regular descriptions of 5's, would have much more of a 4 or 9 feel, might not necessarily be very intellectual.

It reminds me of a line from Maitri's spiritual dimensions, that 5's have eyes like hot coals, shining bright and alert. Amelie's eyes are very alert and turned 'on' observing intently the particular things/people they choose to look at...

Perhaps with the 4w3 tinge and the character being more 5w4 (in my mind), it naturally includes 4w5. Spans across those types.

I consider Amelie my movie twin, in any case.

------------------------------------------------
Meow

God analysis...Thanks savory.

I figured you related to her, I thought of you when I looked at the topic.

She's definately in the 4/5/9 space with a strong inclination for 5w4 or 4w5...self preservation.

Sturgeon48

Go to Top of Page

dfgray44

USA
11884 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  10:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit dfgray44's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suppose I could see where someone might draw 9, but the character just didn't feel light enough.

But the character isn't heavy enough for 4w5 or 5w4. Too much twinkly-dinkly cupey-cute in the eyes.

And there's a reason for the sprinkles of 2 and 7 that have been cited.....

Also, sp/sx is a bingo; as is the connection to Ms. Pie (by that I mean Ms. Pie's real E-type)....

Clever people. You're so close to how you're going to catch her. You know that, don't you?

********* / *

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Return to Top

The Enneagram Institute is a Service Mark of Enneagram Personality Types, Inc.
All Images, Content and Layout Copyright The Enneagram Institute 1998-2014.

Gold Bar

Share | |

[Home] [Back to Top] [Free RHETI Sampler] [Free QUEST Test] [Full RHETI Enneagram Test] [QUEST–TAS Test] [IVQ Instincts Test] [The Enn. Cards–Sorts] [Interpreting Test Results] [Type Descriptions] [How the System Works] [Levels of Development] [The Traditional Enneagram] [Practical Applications] [Relationships—Type Combinations] [Personal Growth] [Enneagram & Spirituality] [Addictions & Type] [Business Resources] [Enneagram FAQs] [Articles & Interviews] [Discussion Board] [Free EnneaFeatures Viewer Download] [Free RHETI Sampler Download] [Free Materials] [Books & Resources] [Schedule] [Training Program] [Workshops] [Private Consultations] [About The Institute] [Institute Network] [Teachers & Referral Listing] [Guestbook] [Contact The Institute]

The Enneagram Institute Discussion Board © 2002-2014 The Enneagram Institute Go To Top Of Page