Public Enneagram Discussion Board
 Focused Enneagram Discussion
 4-5-9 and 4-6-9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lomelodia

161 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  7:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit lomelodia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I've read the bits that were posted on this board before, especially by Sturgeon, about the 4-5-9s and 4-6-9s.

They seem awfully similar, and I think I am one of them, but I wanted to ask if any 459 combos (or 549, 954...maybe Eidbuser?) are anxious too, and not just 469s? How do you really tell the difference? I'm pretty sure I'm a 4w5, so I don't know that if I were a 469, if the wing would make me one that resembles a 459 as well. My 5 wing is strong, but I am also a very insecure/doubting person...like the description of the 469. (Although 4s are generally insecure)

Even though it may be very very confusing to try to figure out my tritype early on in my enneagram experience, I can't help thinking about it now that I know of it. It just keeps coming up!

What are your thoughts?

Edited by - lomelodia on 03 Aug 2011 7:42:38 PM

dusty

3795 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  9:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit dusty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think 469 is going to have more difficulty being seperate from others. More shame and anxiety about being different. There would be more checking in with others. A 459 would be pretty comfortable with separateness and solitude. Of course, a stacking running contrary to the tritype might turn these generalizations on their heads. I think 469 matches well with so and 459 matches well with sp.

How do people describe you?

Edited by - dusty on 03 Aug 2011 9:32:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

lomelodia

161 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  10:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit lomelodia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dusty

I think 469 is going to have more difficulty being seperate from others. More shame and anxiety about being different. There would be more checking in with others. A 459 would be pretty comfortable with separateness and solitude. Of course, a stacking running contrary to the tritype might turn these generalizations on their heads. I think 469 matches well with so and 459 matches well with sp.

Hi, dusty.

How does a stacking run contrary to the tritype? I've heard of a counterphobic type, but not tritype. I'm sx/so. Not sure how people would describe me...I know my dad thinks I react too easily to things and get all worried and scared. But he only sees parts of me that react really obviously on the outside, and doesn't really understand my internal world. I've always been really worried about school too. Ha, I'm picking out all the worried parts of me now!

I don't think I'm always *that* introverted, too. I know that when I become aware of others and myself, I may be, to the extent that I get really bashful and shy. But sometimes when I'm not really being too aware of my interactions, I can be seemingly extroverted, and quite open.

I think that I am most likely a 4something9, but I haven't read the 479 description.
Go to Top of Page

tagua seeds

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  12:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit tagua seeds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lomelodia

quote:
Originally posted by dusty

Hi, dusty.

How does a stacking run contrary to the tritype? I've heard of a counterphobic type, but not tritype. I'm sx/so. Not sure how people would describe me...I know my dad thinks I react too easily to things and get all worried and scared. But he only sees parts of me that react really obviously on the outside, and doesn't really understand my internal world. I've always been really worried about school too. Ha, I'm picking out all the worried parts of me now!

I don't think I'm always *that* introverted, too. I know that when I become aware of others and myself, I may be, to the extent that I get really bashful and shy. But sometimes when I'm not really being too aware of my interactions, I can be seemingly extroverted, and quite open.

I think that I am most likely a 4something9, but I haven't read the 479 description.

Dusty will correct me if I'm wrong, but by running "contrary" she doesn't mean "counterphobic". She's referring to the energy of a particular stacking going against the grain of a particular tritype and vice versa.

For example, 459 is a triple withdrawn tritype, so you'd generally expect a highly introverted person. A stacking with a similar energy would be sp/sx. Being 459, however, doesn't preclude other stackings, but it will be harder to tease out all the fixes and instincts.

Most people are some sort of hybrid and it takes a while to sort the whole thing out.
Go to Top of Page

Anabel

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  04:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anabel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think, Lomelodia, the first step for you should be to do a type test.

Bel
Go to Top of Page

skyboy

France
1346 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  05:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm now almost sure to be 459. What dusty says is very relevant.

I shared things about my tritype with another of the same triptype, and what came as common was :
- solitude : loving to be alone. Having an hermit life style
- sociable : yet sociable when we are with others. We saw ourselves as sociable, even though we may usually spend only 1 hour per day not alone. Creating authentic human connections easily
- imagination : as children, playing a lot alone with our imagination. Rarely with other children
- bringing a mood in which people will naturally want to talk about themselves, confess, or share intimate things
- seeing childhood as heaven, lost by the need to socialize and get active
- seeing the world of other people as playing complex games for which we have no manual

Differences with 469 comes from the differences between 5 and 6 minds. 5 is like a withdrawn mind working alone to handle situations, life, and understanding, while 6 is more oriented to connections with collectivity and other people with thoughts. It's a receptive/expressive mind, using people as support for understanding and guidance. While 5 is more working alone, with its own maps and ideas.

But actually the 5 in my tritype is a 5w6, so this 5ish mind is quite unstable, doubting and wanting confirmations from other people ideas too. But basically, when facing most situations, I think a lot about it ALONE.
Go to Top of Page

skyboy

France
1346 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  06:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit skyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
How does a stacking run contrary to the tritype?

It doesn't really. It's just that stacking will give the same impression that some types.

sp gives a feeling of being "self-contained" : not needing others much. Thus, this can give a feeling of 5 (or even 8w9).

sx/so staking gives a feeling a being more volatile and impacted by relationships with other people. Thus giving an apparent 2, 6 or 7 touch.

sp5 for example will be the super-withdrawn intellectual achiever, sometimes looking cold and so much serious that people will be scared or impressed.

sx5 however, is a very special 5, warmer with others, and more connected. I think the guy in "Californication" is a sx5.

sp2 will look more serious and a little cold, while sx2 will be super-warm.

For example sp4 is very self contained giving a touch of 5ish analysis, 3ish productivity or 1ish control, while not being really closer to these wings.
Go to Top of Page

lomelodia

161 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  1:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit lomelodia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anabel,

1: 2
2: 5
3: 2
4: 7
5: 3
6: 4
7: 5
8: 0
9: 5

This was my score on the RHETI sampler, although I've taken the free test many times before. (Never the actual test that costs money, so it may not be that accurate)

Haha, 0 for 8. That always surprises me because of a confrontational side I feel in myself. I can get very aggressive and resentful at times.

I guess I need to get to know the types better too. I associate the really worried side of me with the 6, but I also don't have the good attributes of a six, like being able to dedicate myself to something, or stick to a schedule...(for others, maybe, but not for myself)

This was the QUEST:

Probabilities for Your Type
One of these three types
is most probably your type 4, 6, 9
These types have a lower
probability of being your type 2, 5, 8
These types have a low
probability of being your type 1, 3, 7

*shrug* You don't have to analyze this, since it's too difficult to make a decision based on these, and I have to be the one in the end to know what I am.

I never thought that I'd have a 7 component. Sturgeon, if you are reading this, do you think you could post the description for the 479 tritype?

Edited by - lomelodia on 04 Aug 2011 1:56:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

lomelodia

161 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  1:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit lomelodia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skyboy

I'm now almost sure to be 459. What dusty says is very relevant.

I shared things about my tritype with another of the same triptype, and what came as common was :
- solitude : loving to be alone. Having an hermit life style
- sociable : yet sociable when we are with others. We saw ourselves as sociable, even though we may usually spend only 1 hour per day not alone. Creating authentic human connections easily
- imagination : as children, playing a lot alone with our imagination. Rarely with other children
- bringing a mood in which people will naturally want to talk about themselves, confess, or share intimate things
- seeing childhood as heaven, lost by the need to socialize and get active
- seeing the world of other people as playing complex games for which we have no manual

Differences with 469 comes from the differences between 5 and 6 minds. 5 is like a withdrawn mind working alone to handle situations, life, and understanding, while 6 is more oriented to connections with collectivity and other people with thoughts. It's a receptive/expressive mind, using people as support for understanding and guidance. While 5 is more working alone, with its own maps and ideas.

But actually the 5 in my tritype is a 5w6, so this 5ish mind is quite unstable, doubting and wanting confirmations from other people ideas too. But basically, when facing most situations, I think a lot about it ALONE.

Hi Skyboy, I relate to a lot of what you say here too. I think that appreciating childhood as a heaven-like state which was lost later on is a basic 4-trait, perhaps regardless of tri-type. I.e., feeling like we lost our essence is the basis of why we think we're missing an identity.

Edited by - lomelodia on 04 Aug 2011 1:41:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

skyboy

France
1346 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  2:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit skyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think that appreciating childhood as a heaven-like state which was lost later on is a basic 4-trait

Or 9. Lost simple paradise of contact with nature... actually I don't know. It's still very to hard to tell 4 and 9 apart in me. 4's focus on the past... could be a bit of both...

For example, I love this song by Pink Floyd called "Sorrow" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5EDqQtnRrc

If you have time and like it, listen carefully to the lyrics. I don't know if the "Sorrow" here is really a 4ish thing. That's a very deep song to me, and I always felt depth when facing 4-9 art things. Through talks with oceanlife, we wondered if David Gilmour writer and composer of this song, is 4 or 9. I feel some 9-4-7 vibe from him. But it's still unclear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Return to Top

The Enneagram Institute is a Service Mark of Enneagram Personality Types, Inc.
All Images, Content and Layout Copyright The Enneagram Institute 1998-2014.

Gold Bar

Share | |

[Home] [Back to Top] [Free RHETI Sampler] [Free QUEST Test] [Full RHETI Enneagram Test] [QUEST–TAS Test] [IVQ Instincts Test] [The Enn. Cards–Sorts] [Interpreting Test Results] [Type Descriptions] [How the System Works] [Levels of Development] [The Traditional Enneagram] [Practical Applications] [Relationships—Type Combinations] [Personal Growth] [Enneagram & Spirituality] [Addictions & Type] [Business Resources] [Enneagram FAQs] [Articles & Interviews] [Discussion Board] [Free EnneaFeatures Viewer Download] [Free RHETI Sampler Download] [Free Materials] [Books & Resources] [Schedule] [Training Program] [Workshops] [Private Consultations] [About The Institute] [Institute Network] [Teachers & Referral Listing] [Guestbook] [Contact The Institute]

The Enneagram Institute Discussion Board © 2002-2014 The Enneagram Institute Go To Top Of Page