Random little stuff
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

relicquery

1598 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  01:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit relicquery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Took the test earlier, didn't feel like logging in to post. The results that I remember:

5 was in first, 4 one point behind. Something like 8 and 7 or 7 and 6 each.

9 was next at 0.

Then came 1 and 3 at -1, I think.

2 was the lowest, -8 or something.

So, tonight's results are a little weird.

Type 1: 2
Type 2: -2
Type 3: -5
Type 4: 10
Type 5: 5
Type 6: -8
Type 7: -3
Type 8: -3
Type 9: 4

More extreme variety this time around. I don't know what I did that made the score for 4 jump up so high.

BADMAN

8045 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  02:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit BADMAN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[blocked due to guideline #4 violation]en Ellsbury, again. In the ninth.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2011-08-04-al-roundup-red-sox_n.htm

Go to Top of Page

silver

Ireland
431 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  09:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit silver's Homepage  Reply with Quote

mmmmm don't know, none of these tests seem to work for me - suppose I do show characteristics of the type 6, type 8 though?? no chance
Go to Top of Page

Kate

6205 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  2:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote

2 days 'til my daughter comes home to visit for a week, YAYYYYY!!!!

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
Go to Top of Page

Kate

6205 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  9:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kalisto
That's great!

Thank you! It's going to be sweet. I haven't seen her in 6 months and miss her so much.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
Go to Top of Page

Kate

6205 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  7:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
story from my eldest daughter home for a week holiday from a year work contract at Walt Disney World

daugher:

Oh. oh! Wanna hear the worst crrrraziest story?

*everyone laughing and waiting* she tells the best stories...

So, there's this park right near our residences that has all these ducks in it...

awww

And so we notice suddenly all the ducks are gone and then we find out why (WDW moved them). Apparently this Asian girl got terminated, and when her roommate came home found she'd taken a duck from the park, killed it, plucked it and ate it for dinner.

Walt Disney World. It's a magical place.

Edited by - Kate on 08 Aug 2011 7:02:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Abi

USA
5965 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  9:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abi's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Those Disney Ducks aren't real. They're little robots used to monitor peoples' movement for Disney crowd control.

Go to Top of Page

Rich

USA
4385 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  01:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Kalisto

lol Out of tragedy a l'Orange is born a conspiracy theory!

Kalisto, the truth is much simpler and more unpleasant. Disneyland in California has had an expose book done on it, and its over 300 pages long. Disneyland may be " the happiest place on earth ", but it is far from the safest. Disney World, is owned by the same Disney company. I'm sure there are some very interesting stories to be told, about things that aren't nice at all, even shocking to parents of small children.... In fairness, there has been a fair number of serious customer behaviors as well.
/

ISTJ & SP-3W4, DISC:High-DSC
Serious-Sensitive-Inventive-Leisurely Styles
HER:SP-2W1 & ISFJ; Self Sacrificing-Dramatic-Conscientious-Aggressive styles
My philosophy of life: Love will get you through.
I learned to dissemble at an early age.

Edited by - Rich on 09 Aug 2011 01:27:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kate

6205 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  3:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Rich & Kalisto - for the kids going to work at Disney World, it's a good example of "living the dream" turned into a quick shot of reality.

Go to Top of Page

Rich

USA
4385 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  4:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by walden

Rich & Kalisto - for the kids going to work at Disney World, it's a good example of "living the dream" turned into a quick shot of reality. ( end quote )

Walden, its also a perfect example of how its much harder to bamboozle people inside the system, than it is to fool people outside the system who have no comparison to judge by....
/

Go to Top of Page

Kate

6205 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  5:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

Walden, its also a perfect example of how its much harder to bamboozle people inside the system, than it is to fool people outside the system who have no comparison to judge by....
/

Regarding being inside the system - you make an excellent point, Rich. Being outside of the system looking in we can never know the full reality of the situation, regardless of how much information we have or think we have.

This is true in the case of both critical anti-establishment bias as well as pie-eyed veneration of the established 'dream'. It reminds me of when I got involved with politics at a young age, only to find my very idealistic vision completely crumbled, after getting an insiders view in my twenties.

Go to Top of Page

Rich

USA
4385 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  7:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by walden

Regarding being inside the system - you make an excellent point, Rich. Being outside of the system looking in we can never know the full reality of the situation, regardless of how much information we have or think we have.

This is true in the case of both critical anti-establishment bias as well as pie-eyed veneration of the established 'dream'. It reminds me of when I got involved with politics at a young age, only to find my very idealistic vision completely crumbled, after getting an insiders view in my twenties. ( end quote )

Walden, this on my mind right now! My wife is reading " In the Garden of Beasts ", about the American ambassador in Nazi Berlin, in the 1930s. The German people were living in a Nazi fantasy world, due to the Nazis providing only what they considered " news ".

In the modern world, its hard to know what is true, since all of us are constantly bombarded by propaganda, disinformation, and self-serving lies. Young people like your daughter, start off by assuming that the higher-ups, will be telling you the truth so you can do a better job.... I worked for the old AT&T, the top managers destroyed the company morale, first by putting out the line that there would not be any lay-offs, then they kept back-tracking on that flat statement, and finally saying, well yes they were actually planning to do massive lay-offs. A lot of the company operations depended on employee cooperation, which vanished and never returned! ( 1989 and there after. )
/

Go to Top of Page

Kate

6205 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  8:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:
Walden, this on my mind right now! My wife is reading " In the Garden of Beasts ", about the American ambassador in Nazi Berlin, in the 1930s. The German people were living in a Nazi fantasy world, due to the Nazis providing only what they considered " news ".

I just read some reviews of the book, Rich. It looks like a gripping read. What strikes me, just from my cursory reading of the theme of the book, is what I was alluding to in my earlier post about the politics. The central problem with politics is the problem of humans and the folly of our ego. Every regime that has conquered or reigned or thrived, and then gone through the natural destruction and rebuilding is a form of mass ego. Propaganda works because it sells the fantasy/dream.

quote:
In the modern world, its hard to know what is true, since all of us are constantly bombarded by propaganda, disinformation, and self-serving lies.

Uhuh. Thatís a given. The thing about this is this has been true for ages. Itís not modern. Selling the dream manipulation is as old as humanity. Itís become a gargantuan machine now. to be sure. Those who want to control and have their will over others are always going to feed you what you want. Itís a no-brainer of control/manipulation. Realizing that and never forgetting it, is in my estimation, getting the first clue.

quote:
Young people like your daughter, start off by assuming that the higher-ups, will be telling you the truth so you can do a better job.... I worked for the old AT&T, the top managers destroyed the company morale, first by putting out the line that there would not be any lay-offs, then they kept back-tracking on that flat statement, and finally saying, well yes they were actually planning to do massive lay-offs. A lot of the company operations depended on employee cooperation, which vanished and never returned! ( 1989 and there after. )

A great leader is a rare and precious thing to behold. They are few and far between in history. Most who lead are egomaniacal despots or petty tyrants. The sad thing is that great leaders are necessary. What you describe happening in your workplace, Rich is a good example of what happens daily to people. Itís profoundly demoralizing and unfortunately has a kind of domino effect.

How to get around it, though?

Go to Top of Page

Abi

USA
5965 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  10:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Abi's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Re: WDW and Nazis...

I remember reading a story about an Imagineer who got so tired of being told to paint happy faces in the background that he painted some little Nazis into one. IIRC it's supposed to be in the It's a Small World ride.

Any more stories from your daughter, Walden?

Go to Top of Page

Kate

6205 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  4:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Abi - since she arrived and we had a lovely evening and 2 great dinners together, she's been out with friends and her sister continuously

When she stops moving tonight, long enough to eat, I'll ask her

Go to Top of Page

4wants8

3284 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  7:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit 4wants8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I once got a fortune in a fortune cookie that said, "When the leader has no vision, the people suffer."
Go to Top of Page

Kate

6205 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  7:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 4wants8

I once got a fortune in a fortune cookie that said, "When the leader has no vision, the people suffer."

Good one

Go to Top of Page

dnimon

Australia
6439 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  05:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit dnimon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of the stories my old german boss told me. There were posters put up all around towns for years by the government that depicted American and English soldiers as cannibals, with pointed teeth eating small children. My old boss told me that he crap/ped his pants when he saw an allied soldier in the distance.

Then i remember listening to the churchies in my life, before during and after i took to christianity. Sure people see things differently from within, but this is entirely unrelated to whether they see better or more poorly. traditionally those within a constructed system, and i refer to belief systems here, see that much less.....no question....."the more you focus on one thing, the less you will see of everything else.

Any system will make perfect sense if you accept the base assumptions so the issue is more about what people are prepared to accept than any intrinsic truth. There are currently several fold more people who wholeheartedly accept the religious base assumption (since it is stated explicitly in the Koran) that it is a good thing to butcher non believers (christians, jews etc), than those who believe the base assumptions of the enneagram of personality truth.....so the acceptance of these system assumptions is based neither on quality, quantity or voracity

But i do enjoy the smugness that people within a system believe they have encountered some special essential truth. traditionally humanity has always found it easier to accept absurdity and deception than truth..it's kinda ironic.

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much....Oscar Wilde

Edited by - dnimon on 16 Aug 2011 05:18:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Abi

USA
5965 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  2:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abi's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I have half drunk bottles of water at my office desk all the time and D never touches them.

I had one bottle hidden behind my old computer in the dining room and I noticed it was gone. He thinks he drank it.

Problem is it had larva in it that I was waiting to see hatch.

Go to Top of Page

Rich

USA
4385 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  7:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Reply with Quote

It's so difficult to come to the middle and stop focusing on extremes. Something shouldn't have to conform to my worldview to be tolerable. It's okay to be outside of it all and accept those who love to be in it. Those last two sentences need to be my mantra for awhile. ( end quote )

Kalisto, well since you are an Idiosyncratic Style, as well as INTP, can you give us a hint as to how long " for awhile " might be ? After all, you can't deny yourself, and suddenly become an overly decisive MB " J " type....
/

Go to Top of Page

Rich

USA
4385 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2011 :  01:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Until I've mastered it! My J/P balance isn't that drastic. I'm probably around 55% P and 45% J and I do sometimes score J when I test, it's just that INTP is a better fit than INTJ. My T/F balance is also moderate (maybe 51% T and 49% F, often 50/50), and sometimes I score as an F! ("I" is usually pretty high...70-80%, though I've scored "E" on rare occasions, and "N" is more like 90-98%.)

What's the balance of your scores in each scale for ISTJ? Do you know your Cognitive Function order (at least a tentative ordering)? ( end quote )

Kalisto, I have the booklet with the scores SOMEWHERE I took the professional MBTI in late 1990.... I will try to answer your questions, could you be more specific on what you are looking for? I am most interested in the MB profile, the endless arguments over the Jungian factors seem to be almost religious in nature, to me. When I read Kiersey, especially on SJ marriage that's me. But, I have to admit that much of the Sensitive Style-avoidant has vanished as I grown older, except for the hunger for knowledge. And the " J " aspect has become much less demanding for doing things, just the one right way....

The way I look at the Ennea & MB interaction, is to think of a binary star system. Both stars are massive enough, that they rotate around a common center of gravity. And, each star's gravity causes interference in the other star. No pure Ennea or MB types, they are too intermingled. There is no explaining why some features of each are stronger, and why other features are muted!
/

Go to Top of Page

Rich

USA
4385 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2011 :  5:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Sure. In the first question, I'm asking what your general percentages are for the 4 scales of the MBTI: %I/%E, %N/%S, %T/%F, %J/%P. The second question, is the order of the jungian cognitive functions that you believe fits you best: Se, Si, Te, Ti, Fe, Fi, Ne, Ni. ( end quote )

*** I'm all at sea here, SJs rank very low in conceptualizing.... The place to start is to recognize that the MB theory is not adequate to cover so many factors. I would start with Si, Te, Se, and Ni ( after reading Lenore Thomson ) Being a 3W4 and the Sensitive Style, obviously I have some sort of extroverted way of dealing with the world

I took the official MBTI when I first entered college, as part of Student Affairs' Career Guidance program. We all had to. They didn't tell me how my scores were weighted, just that I scored INTP. That was my first exposure to MBTI. I've since questioned that typing, considering INTP, ENTP, ENTJ, INTJ, ISTP, INFP, and INFJ. ( end quote )

*** I have considered INTJ, and ISTP. ESTJ is a definite NO.

I would say that Serious style seems to dominate your style now, or at least on the board. You have something of a father presence around here, I think. ( end quote )

*** I would like to see myself as trying to bring in some common sense, while reminding people that time ever brings changes, and you have to deal with who and what you are. People sometimes come to me for advice. I do that by reviewing things, reminding them of the proper chronology and avoiding " woulda, coulda, and shoulda ". ( The number of people who think that they should have done such and such in 2003, even though they didn't find out about it until 2007, is truly astounding.... ) And, many people have at least a general knowledge of what the problem is, but don't want to face it. ( See the Leisurely Style below! )

I think I'm dominated by a combination of Leisurely-Vigilant-Idiosyncratic, with a rotating 4th of either Self-Confident, Self-Sacrificing, or Adventurous. For some reason I always score insanely high in Leisurely, though it's not one I'm that aware of identifying with. Oldham was especially good for opening my eyes here. The Leisurely style represents a kind of blind spot for me, but I've come to see its presence more and more. ( end quote )

*** Yeah, the Leisurely Style was a real eye opener for me too. I finally had to deal with the fact that I'm a lazy Type-A. I was on an Oldham board for some years, and the moderator said the Leisurely is really the Contrary-Leisurely Style. I really liked to believe that, but I'm more Leisurely, than Contrary, so that was just some self-deluding. When I first read Oldham, the Leisurely Style seemed to be so cut and dried passive-aggressive stuff, that its all too easy to miss the rest of the chapter. After more years have passed, its now easy to recognize that the Leisurely Style is a way to rebel against things that you aren't powerful enough to control or stop....

That's definitely a way in which my Jness expresses itself. It's not so much that it has to be done "one right way," but that if you're doing it in an ineffective way, my right way is a way to do it effectively if you can't come up with a different right way yourself. ( end quote )

*** " What you say sure makes sense to me, Catwoman! " ( from a 1966 TV show )
!
I like that way of thinking about them, though even the two alone aren't conclusive. Personality is made up of more than tests or systems could hope to fully encapsulate, which of course you know. ( end quote )

*** Its the people who think that personality is simple, that confuse things, as they remove troublesome aspects for their stripped down theories....
/

Edited by - Rich on 20 Aug 2011 01:55:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

quartz

1534 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  2:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit quartz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Regarding today's earthquake in Virginia, my local news station states on their web site:

"In downtown Baltimore, the quake sent office workers into the streets, where lamp posts swayed slightly as they called family and friends to check in."

(As you may know, lamp posts are widely known for faithfully keeping in touch with their friends and family at such times.)

sx/sp 2w1 - ENFP
Go to Top of Page

shakti

USA
10986 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  3:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote

It would be difficult to type the lamp posts based on their newsworthy behavior because crisis might strongly influence the matter. On a regular basis, I'm sure they are way more into shining brightly rather than swaying and keeping in touch.
Go to Top of Page

quartz

1534 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2011 :  3:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit quartz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shakti

It would be difficult to type the lamp posts based on their newsworthy behavior because crisis might strongly influence the matter. On a regular basis, I'm sure they are way more into shining brightly rather than swaying and keeping in touch.

sx/sp 2w1 - ENFP
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Return to Top

The Enneagram Institute is a Service Mark of Enneagram Personality Types, Inc.
All Images, Content and Layout Copyright The Enneagram Institute 1998-2014.

Gold Bar

Share | |

[Home] [Back to Top] [Free RHETI Sampler] [Free QUEST Test] [Full RHETI Enneagram Test] [QUEST–TAS Test] [IVQ Instincts Test] [The Enn. Cards–Sorts] [Interpreting Test Results] [Type Descriptions] [How the System Works] [Levels of Development] [The Traditional Enneagram] [Practical Applications] [Relationships—Type Combinations] [Personal Growth] [Enneagram & Spirituality] [Addictions & Type] [Business Resources] [Enneagram FAQs] [Articles & Interviews] [Discussion Board] [Free EnneaFeatures Viewer Download] [Free RHETI Sampler Download] [Free Materials] [Books & Resources] [Schedule] [Training Program] [Workshops] [Private Consultations] [About The Institute] [Institute Network] [Teachers & Referral Listing] [Guestbook] [Contact The Institute]

The Enneagram Institute Discussion Board © 2002-2014 The Enneagram Institute Go To Top Of Page